Garbage, Bulk Collection, and Recycling
Garbage is collected by the Association Maintenance Staff every Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, even on holidays. It is collected weekly by Middletown Township’s hauling company.
The following rules apply to the disposal of garbage:
- Garbage bags must be tied and set at curbside between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- Garbage must only be placed outside on the morning of the collection and not the night before. Garbage placed outside overnight is likely to be torn open by animals, causing a sanitation and safety hazard.
- Trash must be placed in heavy-duty bags or double bagging, or put in a brown bag and then in plastic.
- Garbage bags must not be placed on the lawn as this damages the grass.
- Shredded paper is considered garbage, not paper recycling, and should be disposed of with the garbage.
- The compactor area is not to be used as an interim drop-off area. Residents are prohibited from placing garbage or any other items in the compactor area, and are subject to a fine for violating this rule.
- Garbage cans or other trash containers must be kept indoors only, not outside.
- Christmas trees are to be set at curbside on any garbage collection day in the month following Christmas.
- Household batteries such as flashlight batteries, watch batteries, and hearing aid batteries, are considered garbage and should be disposed of in a garbage bag.
Bulk items are not accepted with the garbage collection.
- For your convenience, the Board has approved one (1) large item pick-up day per year which will be paid for by the Association. The date will be announced in the Oak Leaves Newsletter.
- For pick-up of items of furniture and appliances, please contact a disposal company.
- Items for charity pickup must not be left outside your unit or at curbside.
The Shady Oaks community is subject to the recycling rules and regulations of Middletown Township. Refer to the Township of Middletown Comprehensive Recyclables Chart, located on the Township website, for recycling guidelines. Recycling materials are to be placed in the recycling dumpsters at two locations on the Shady Oaks property.
Recycling utilizes a single stream process. Recyclables must be rinsed, but the caps must be removed and placed in the garbage. Accepted recyclables include:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic containers (1, 2, 5 recycling symbols only)
- Aluminum, tin and steel cans
- Boxes and cardboard, flattened and untied
- Paper and newspaper, untied
IMPORTANT: Do not place recycling in plastic bags. The Association can be subject to a fine by Middletown Township. Violators may be fined by the Association. No trash, garbage bags, or non-recyclables of any kind may be placed in the recycling dumpster.
PODS and Dumpsters
Portable moving and storage containers (PODS) and dumpsters are permitted with the approval of the Board of Trustees. If you are moving or renovating and require a POD or dumpster, contact the Shady Oaks Association Office and obtain the proper paperwork, as follows:
- For POD approval, complete the POD Request Form and submit it to the Community Manager with a $500 security deposit.
- For dumpster approval, complete the Dumpster Request Form and submit it to the Community Manager with a $500 security deposit.
The Community Manager will submit the request to the Board of Trustees for approval.
The following rules apply when having an approved POD or dumpster delivered to Shady Oaks.
Damage to common property will result in forfeiture of the security deposit.
- The POD or dumpster can remain on the Shady Oaks property for a maximum of ten (10) days, and must be delivered and removed as indicated on the request form.
- Do not place the POD or dumpster on the lawn.
- Do not place the POD or dumpster in a resident designated parking spot other than the parking spot of the POD or dumpster owner.
- Do not place the POD in a location that can damage other vehicles or common property.
- Do not impede access to sidewalks or driveways.
- Do not damage or make impressions on the asphalt.
- Place orange cones or other identifiers with the POD or dumpster to prevent accidents in darkness.
- The POD or dumpster cannot be delivered on Saturday, Sunday, or any holiday.